Language learning opens a world of opportunities. Not only is speaking another language vital in an international world but it enhances communication skills, provides better opportunities for employment, raises cultural and self-awareness and provides a more dynamic skill set.
This is subject to approved specifications following governmental changes.
In Lower Sixth, pupils study the following modules:
• Social Issues and Trends including the changing state of family, the digital world and youth culture
• Artistic Culture including festivals and traditions, art and architecture, cultural life in Berlin
• A Literary Text or Film – pupils analyse, evaluate and critique a choice of either a literary text or a film with strong roots in Germanic culture. Grammar features strongly throughout.
Assessment 1 x Listening, reading and translation exam (80 marks) 40% of AS Level 1 x Writing exam (60 marks) 30% of AS Level 1 x Speaking exam (60 marks) 30% of AS Level
In Upper Sixth, pupils study the following modules:
• Multiculturalism including immigration, integration and racism
• Aspects of Political Life including Germany and the EU, politics and youth, German re-unification
• A Literary Text or Film – continuation from AS Level • Individual Research Project – linked to one of the subtopics studied. Grammar features strongly throughout.
Assessment 1 x Listening, reading and translation exam (160 marks) 40% of A Level 1 x Writing exam (90 marks) 30% of A Level 1 x Speaking exam (60 marks) 30% of A Level
Educational visits and extra curricular activity
All pupils are currently offered the opportunity to undertake work experience in Germany. Sixth form students are also encouraged to assist with language classes and assist with clubs and trips lower down the school.
Rooms and resources
We use a variety of different resources which enable us to vary our approach according to the needs of the pupils. There are interactive whiteboards in all of the teaching rooms and we have a number of different software programmes and apps to provide variety in our teaching. Additionally the school VLE has a wide range of interactive activities, games, links and support to enhance our pupils’ language learning experience.