Football Match Report: AGC vs Liverpool College

A bitterly cold February morning did not deter a Saturday morning of three competitive football with Years 7, 8 and 10 playing against Liverpool College at home and Year 11 and First XI taking to the pitches in Liverpool.

The Year 7 game was an entertaining 5-4 defeat for the College with Harry Green scoring three and Kitt Baker one goal. In a spirited fight back from 4-1 and 5-3 down, there were outstanding performances from Kitt Baker in defence and some expert finishes from Harry Green were worth braving the elements for.

The Year 8 game was very keenly contested with a Hugo Cook penalty making the score 1-2 midway through the second half. Unfortunately, the College almost immediately after scoring conceded a penalty and at 3-1 the visitors held out for the away win.

The recently improving Year 10 team had an encouraging 7-1 win. In what was a close contest in the first half, Abbey Gate College boys managed to take an early lead thanks to some good midfield and forward play from Baden Hocking and Toby Franklin. Some good saves from Joe Watkins in goal gave AGC a slender 2-1 lead going into half time.

Two tactical substitutions at half time gave fresh impetus into proceedings. Despite giving away a penalty at the start of the second half, the AGC goal was rarely troubled. A fine penalty save by Joe Watkins made up for him giving away the penalty in the first place. Charlie Fleet scored twice and excellent goals from James Buchanan and David Mitchell gave it a final score of 7-1.

This was a much improved display and great credit goes to Euan Mackay and Charlie Cheadle playing with a year group above. All boys played well and there was not a poor performance on the day.

The Year 11 team faced some strong opposition at Liverpool. A brisk start by Liverpool saw them take control and dominate the first half. Being 6–0 down at half time meant the second half was always going to be a struggle but to their credit Abbey Gate College scored first after half time. Unfortunately, despite an improved second half performance, they conceded two more goals late on and suffered an 8–1 defeat.

Having had a couple of postponements earlier in 2017, this was the First X1's first outing in of the year. In the biting cold weather, they were beaten by a well organised and determined Liverpool College team. To avoid the effects of the cold, the three substitutes were rotated on regular intervals, and while this enabled everyone to get significant amounts of game time, it didn't really help with the ability to form a tight knit and cohesive unit.

Chances were few and far between for both teams but Liverpool College took the three that came their way and this made all the difference, with the final score at Liverpool College 3, Abbey Gate College 0.  Everyone is better off for having had time on the pitch and while everyone contributed, men of the match go to Charlie Dearling and Wilf Smith for their excellent work in the heart of the defence.

With the Chester Schools semi-final just around the corner hopefully this game will have enabled the squad to get rid of the 'ring rustiness' they felt in this game.

Published: Thursday, 16th February 2017